Elna P. King

Elna P. King
This picture was taken early December 2010

Friday, July 1, 2011

A Concert and A Wedding

Originally I planned on posting every Sunday--sorry it didn't work out last Sunday--I'm not even sure why. So, I'll try to remember and catch up before next Sunday.

Last week was busy and eventful. We went to the Concert in the Park in American Fork. It is one of our favorite things to do in the summertime--great local talent, beautiful surroundings and it's free! Last Monday was a special treat--Jenny Oaks Baker. She is an accomplished violinist and the daughter of Dallin Oaks. After seeing her in concert last summer, we have become fans! She plays a lot of hymns and inspirational music. I was grateful for a good neighbor and friend who picked up David and Amy and went to the amphitheater early to save a place--then I went later with mother so she didn't have to wait so long for the concert to begin. The Timpanogos Symphony Orchestra also performed--an amazing group of local musicians who have only been together for a short period of time. The director, Mr. Peugh, told us that he had been talking with a friend a while ago who mentioned that he has always wanted to direct an orchestra playing the William Tell Overture. Mr. Peugh thought that would be a fun piece to play so the orchestra started rehearsing it. Then he asked his friend to be the guest conductor for the piece--his friend was Glade Jorgenson. He said Mr. Jorgenson graduated from BYU with a degree in music in 1939, then, because of the war, joined the air force--became a pilot and spent the rest of his life working in aviation, never using his music degree. He came up on stage and conducted the William Tell Overture--he is 95 years old. It was a highlight of the concert. I think mother really enjoyed it.

I had planned on taking my camera to get some pictures, but forgot. There was a lady sitting next to me with a camera taking a lot of picture--we actually squeezed together so she could sit there so I asked if she would be willing to take a picture of my mother and email it to me. She was very gracious and emailed these pictures that very night--



After I got them, I emailed her and told her about this blog so she emailed these pictures that she had taken of Jenny Oaks Baker and the guest conductor:


Jenny Oaks Baker and the Timpanogos Orchestra Conductor

95-year old Guest Conductor



I thought it was nice of her to send the pictures.

Saturday morning we got up and drove to Logan for Kirrah's wedding luncheon and sealing ceremony in the Logan Temple. Mother really wanted to go and she felt fairly good so we decided to try it. We enjoyed the luncheon at noon, then went to visit Lorna Wanlass, mother's next-door neighbor in North Logan. She told us she had knee surgery just five weeks ago--she seemed to be recovering nicely. It was a good visit--sat on her beautiful back lawn.

Tyler and Lacey Faddis, the renters in mother's house were out in their yard--they have planted a little garden in back so we visited with them for a few minutes. They are such nice people and seem to be caring for mother's house very well.  I introduced him to mother--she's met him before, but needed a reminder. When I told her who he was, he said, "We're the lucky ones who live in your house." I think they understand how fortunate they are to be able to live in that beautiful home. I really wanted to take some pictures with them to post on the blog--got my camera out and turned it on--no picture on the viewer. Then I realized I had taken the battery out to charge it and forgot to put it back in. Tyler took a couple of pictures on his camera and said he would email to me--haven't seen them yet.

After the visit, we went to the temple--beautiful sealing--beautiful bride and handsome groom. How speical that mother could attend her great-granddaughter's wedding.

After the wedding, mother was very tired but really wanted to visit her good friend, Barbara Berger. We stopped by her house for a few minutes, then started on our way home. Mother was exhausted and we considered staying in Logan in a motel for the night. I wasn't sure that she would be able to rest in a motel and it was only 5:00 p.m.--didn't know what we'd do for the whole evening and night. So, mother laid down on the back seat and I drove home. She was very tired and couldn't go to church the next day, but by Monday she seemed pretty good. I've decided if we travel to Logan again, we need to plan on it being a two-day trip.

That's pretty much the week! Thanks for your love and prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment