Elna P. King

Elna P. King
This picture was taken early December 2010

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Lipstick Days!

There are several barometers that I use to tell how mother is feeling each day. Seems that often mornings are just hard for her--hard to get up and get going and that's often when she's tearful, which makes me so sad. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with not feeling very well and not having much she can do, plus being do dependent on others after such a full and independent life. I'm grateful for the days when she smiles and says "good morning"--that's usually a sign that she's feeling pretty good. But the best way to tell when she feels good is when she puts her lipstick on! Of course she doesn't do that before breakfast but she has put lipstick on quite often lately. If she's not feeling well, she can't be bothered with it even if we're going out or she's having visitors come. Julie and Dan visited last weekend and she so looked forward to their visit. When she got up that morning, I reminded her that today was the day Julie was coming. She said, "Oh, I should have a new dress or new pants!" I told her I'd go get some for her--so I did. (We've mourned the Talbot's store in Provo going out of business, but there is one in Murray--they have wonderful clothes for anyone, but the best thing is that they have petities that fit mother. She can always find something there that she likes. [This is not a commercial--and I've received no endorsement for saying this.]) So I made a trip to Murray got her some nice new clothes. (Oh yeah--I got some things for me too!) So back to Julie's visit--mother wore her new clothes and lipstick! Then today she suggested that we go out to lunch and she put her lipstick on! From now on, I can just say she had a "Lipstick Day" and you'll know that she was feeling pretty good!
Julie and Pam went to Logan on Saturday to see Michelle's new twins and they invited mother to go along. I wasn't sure if she could handle a trip up and back in one day, but she went with and did really well. In fact, the next day she attended the entire block of church meetings! I think it was so good for her to get out. Julie will be sending pictures of mother with the new babies--wow! that's five generations--mother's first great-great grandchildren! I'll post them. I appreciate Julie doing the extra work to take mother along--she was so careful and cute with her. Mother enjoyed the day so much!

We're a little jealous of Carrie Lyn and Jeff getting to go to Malaysia for a visit with Nyla and Garald--hope they have a wonderful trip! Mother and I took some things for them to take to Nyla--a nice outing for mother and thanks to Carrie Lyn and Jeff for taking time for visit with us for a while--I'm sure there was much to be done before she left.

We have enjoyed the beautiful fall weather and I'm grateful for every sunny day--I know sunshine makes a big difference in how mother feels.

Not much other news right now, but hope you have a wonderful week--as always Mother and I send our love to all!

1 comment:

  1. Hey... I think I can call some of my days 'lipstick days' too. I totally understand. Thanks for posting. I'm loving the tops you sent. Wore the white one for 3 days in a row. Yes.. it's now in the wash. AND CL brought me a new dress that fits and I love it. How cool is that. Made it a 'lipstick' week for sure. Love you all - missing fall.

    ReplyDelete