Elna P. King

Elna P. King
This picture was taken early December 2010

Monday, June 6, 2011

"A Very Young Heart"

It was another difficult week for mother. After the episode at the ER last week, she seemed to do a little better for a few days. She was even looking forward to going to Logan for Jennifer's wedding, but when Saturday came, she didn't feel well enough. I was encouraged on Sunday because she attended all three church meetings. Things went down hill from there and by Wednesday I knew we had to do something--I really hated to take her to the hospital again so I called her doctor. She prescribed a stronger antibiotic, but after I described mother's situation, she said, "It would not be wrong to take her back to the hospital." So back we went to the ER. When we arrived, they took vital signs and seemed quite relaxed about her condition. I think they anticipated that she would need some fluids and more antibiotic and then would go home. Suddenly, her heart rate went very high, her blood pressure went very low and they started asking me if she had advance directives. I started crying. Mother was very anxious and agitated, but I'm not sure she was totally aware of all that was going on. However, at one point, she asked me, "Am I about to die?" The doctor asked if she had ever experienced heart arrthymias and said that may be what was happening. They gave her some medication that stops the heart momentarily and then it restarts--kind of like "re-setting" the heart. After administration of the medication, her heart rate immediately went back to normal and her blood pressure started to increase, though they were rapidly giving fluid to try to increase the volume. She received three doses of IV antibiotic and they admitted her to ICU. She was still very agitated and unable to get to sleep--she was very sleepy because they had given her a sedative, but she would drift off for about two second, then kind of jump and wake up to more tossing and turning, kicking and moaning. It was such a hard thing to watch and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't calm her down. It was around 3:00 a.m. before she was finally able to get some sleep.


Thursday all her vital signs seemed good, but she was having a difficult time breathing. The doctor ordered tests--CT scan of her lungs to check for blood clots, then an Echocardiogram to look at her heart, and an EKG. Friday morning test results revealed no blood clots, no heart problems and she seemed to be breathing a little better. Dr. Hill said, "You have a very young heart!" Then he smiled and said, "I've been trying really hard to find something wrong with you, but I can't!" He gave permission for her to go home.

Since coming home, she has done a lot of sleeping. Her breathing was difficult on Friday, but has improved every day. I think maybe the fluids they gave her have caused the breathing difficulties. So far, I've seen improvement every day and hope it will continue.

I am grateful I took her to the hospital when I did--I had considered just giving the new medication for a day and seeing how she did. I think she would have been in a lot of trouble by then We're hoping this week we can do our favorite thing--go out to lunch!


She enjoyed talking with Nyla on Skype last night--good visit. Sarabeth and Morgan also came and visited for a while. She loves to have visitors!

No comments:

Post a Comment